Photograph by Rachel Swetnam Los Angeles Food Photographer
If you exist in the world right now you will know, it’s HOT outside. Yes, even in beautiful (70 degrees everyday) Southern California, it’s hot(ter) than usual. I’m not the only one saying this, other SoCal people are complaining of the heat too! I promise. Maybe we’ve all become “wusses” since moving from our original homes somewhere in the humid planes of the midwest. But despite our possible weakness for heat, we need SOMETHING to cool us down.
What is your “go to” summer dessert that cools you down on hot summer days? Mine is, and forever will be, ice cream. It’s my weakness. It’s my “Perfect Summer Dessert.” But since becoming a vegan I can’t go just anywhere for a good ice cream dessert, I have to find a place with “dairy-free” ice cream. I will drive 20 minutes to get some of my favorite ice cream from a local L.A. ice cream shop. But I started to think, with the cost of gas, the roasty (my car currently has no a/c) drive over there and the cost of the actual ice cream, I’m not doing myself any favors financially. So, I’ve decided to make my own ice cream and minimize my unnecessary drives out of the way just for a cool summer treat.
Because a lot of non-dairy ice creams are made with soy and I’m trying to minimize my soy intake, I decided to venture out and make coconut milk ice cream. I find coconut milk has a more rich and creamy consistency than soy.. and it may be better for me!
Enough of my chatter, here are the recipes!
|Banana, Chocolate Chunk Vegan Ice Cream
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Creamy and delicious vegan ice cream made from organic coconut milk.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 C. Sugar
- 2 t. Vanilla Extract
- 2.5 oz of your favorite non-dairy chocolate bar. I used a Nibby bar from Chocovivo
- 1 ripe banana, cut into chunks
- Prepare your ice cream maker based on the manufacturer’s instruction.
- Pour coconut milk, sugar, vanilla in a blender. Blend until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn based on instructions. Churn until desired firmness.
- Quarter banana lengthwise then chop width of banana into 1/2 inch slices. (This should make little banana cubes).
- Remove chocolate from packaging and smash into small pieces with rolling pin.
- minutes before ice cream is done, add banana chunks and chocolate.
- When ice cream is done churning, serve with a cherry on top!